We stalked our coaches at Unite Fitness to see what superfoods they swear by, to give them feel good energy and most importantly help them to look their best.
Coach Mark: Seaweed
Why Eat Seaweed?
- Extraordinary source of a nutrient missing in almost every other food: Iodine (which helps to maintain thyroid)
- Research suggests seaweed can also help regulate estrogen and estradiol levels
- Seaweed is a potent source of antioxidants and also helps prevent inflammation
Coach Gavin: Turmeric
Why Eat Turmeric?
- Extreme anti-inflammatory benefits
- Tames heart burn and an upset stomach
- Curcumin (main component in Turmeric) was found to delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes in a 2012 study.
Coach Kate: Maca Powder
Why Eat Maca?
- Maca is rich in vitamin B vitamins, C, and E. It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
- Maca is widely used to promote sexual function of both men and women. It serves as a boost to your libido and increases endurance. At the same time it balances your hormones and increases fertility.
Coach Brandon: Spirulina and Chlorella
Why Eat Spirulina and Chlorella?
- Spirulina Enhances Immunity.
- The high levels of chlorophyll in Chlorella help to cleanse the bowels and liver.
- Helps with creating clarity and decreasing brain fog.
Coach Jess: Green Tea Matcha
“I use matcha green tea powder in just about everything- from a hot cup of this tea in the morning with stevia to mixing it in smoothies, greek yogurt, or even making popsicles! Because it’s already in powder form it can be used in virtually anything.”
Why Eat Matcha?
- Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
Coach Mackie: MCT Oil (medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil)
“This gives me all day energy and helps me stay full longer. I like to put it in my coffee first thing in the morning”
Why Eat MCT Oil?
- MCT oil is processed by the liver and is immediately burned to produce energy. For this reason, it is believed that MCT’s have very little tendency to contribute to body fat stores.
- Great way to provide fats in the diet which can be used to support activity or growth without contributing to stored body fat.
- In a recent weight loss study it was found that over a 12-week period, subjects who got MCT oil lost about 2 pounds more than controls.